Readathon (July 9-15, 2018)

I'm sorry that I have been MIA lately. I went on a vacation to Maldives and as soon as a came back I got sick that is why I haven't been uploading here. But check out my instagram @isabelsamonte because I post there regularly and also I have created a separate instagram for books and other bookish posts @@reading_bella .

Moving on, I just got out of a bad reading slump and because of that I was behind my reading challenge. So, I decided to do a weeklong readathon so I can get back on track, which is 120 books. My goal was to read one book a day so seven books in total but I only read 6 and half books. I did not finished The Song of Achilles because I spend my whole Sunday in bed because I was not feeling well and also I watched the World Cup finals instead of reading. Two of the books that I read were re-read. I love re-reading books especially my favorites and most of the books that I read were contemporary. 

1. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandya Menon 
Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.

The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not?

Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways.
Mini Review - The plot was cute. It was like reading a rom-com movie. It is fast paced and I like the representation in this book. I have not read a novel with an Indian protagonist. I like reading about the cultures and traditions, especially the clash in cultures with American-Indian teens. I just did not like how Dimple look down on other girls just because of their appearance. I do not like her snobbish attitude, especially towards Rishi in the beginning.

2. Measuring Up by Nyrae Dawn 
Seventeen-year-old Annabel Conway is tired of the Hillcrest High School elite making her life miserable because she’s not a size two. This summer, she's hiring a personal trainer to help her lose weight.

Annabel doesn’t expect her trainer to be a gorgeous guy around her age. Boys like Tegan are jerks. They pretend to like girls like her so they can make an idiot out of them. Been there, done that. Totally not going there again. She kind of hates him on principal. Blond. Muscular. Funny. It doesn’t help that he knows her measurements!

Soon, Tegan's so much more than that. He’s the boy who teaches her to box when she has a bad day. Who jogs with her and lets her set the pace. Who kisses her until she melts. He makes her feel beautiful regardless of what the scale says. Unlike her mom, he doesn’t expect perfection, and he doesn't try to shield her from the world like her dad and best friend. Tegan likes her the way she is.

But what happens when he’s not there? He can’t always be there…

Will Annabel be able to stand on her own and learn that she already measures up? That her worth doesn’t lie in what the world thinks, the scale says, or even what Tegan tells her—but in herself?

Mini book review - This is one of the book the I have re-read this week. I am still in love with the story after almost 6 years when I first read it. I like how relatable Annabel and her story is. This is a very sweet book but also emotional. As a girl with body image issues, I know how difficult it is to love yourself especially if the people who are suppose to love you are the ones who ridicule you.
 
3. My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Medows 


Edward (long live the king) is the King of England. He’s also dying, which is inconvenient, as he’s only sixteen and he’d much rather be planning for his first kiss than considering who will inherit his crown…

Jane (reads too many books) is Edward’s cousin, and far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately for Jane, Edward has arranged to marry her off to secure the line of succession. And there’s something a little odd about her intended…

Gifford (call him G) is a horse. That is, he’s an Eðian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated). Every day at dawn he becomes a noble chestnut steed—but then he wakes at dusk with a mouthful of hay. It’s all very undignified.

The plot thickens as Edward, Jane, and G are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy. With the fate of the kingdom at stake, our heroes will have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it’s off with their heads?

Mini Book Review - This is very different from what I have read in the past and I love it. It is very magical and funny. I usually do not like reading a lot of POVs but the authors did a great job in crafting them together. This kind of re-telling is very different but it works. The characters were very likeable and I like their interaction with one another.



4. My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Medows 

You may think you know the story. After a miserable childhood, penniless orphan Jane Eyre embarks on a new life as a governess at Thornfield Hall. There, she meets one dark, brooding Mr. Rochester. Despite their significant age gap (!) and his uneven temper (!!), they fall in love—and, Reader, she marries him. (!!!)

Or does she?

Prepare for an adventure of Gothic proportions, in which all is not as it seems, a certain gentleman is hiding more than skeletons in his closets, and one orphan Jane Eyre, aspiring author Charlotte Brontë, and supernatural investigator Alexander Blackwood are about to be drawn together on the most epic ghost hunt this side of Wuthering Heights.


 Mini Book Review - It is not as funny as the first book but this book is filled with mysteries to keep you on the edge of the seat. I like the gothic and dark theme throughout the book. I think that it is very true to the them of Jane Eyre, which is eerie and slightly sinister. Again, I love the authors take on Jane Eyre. Although it is a retelling, it is still different and unique.

P.S I like the mini easter eggs thrown in by the authors like the wedding announcements in the newspaper and the tiny appearance of Lady Jane and G!


5. Up in the Treehouse by K.K Allen 
Romantic Times 2016 Reviewers' Choice WINNER for Best New Adult Book of the Year

I wanted to tell him all my secrets, but he became one of them instead.

Chloe Rivers never thought she would keep secrets from her best friend. Then again, she never imagined she would fall in love with him either. When she finally reveals her feelings, rejection shatters her, rendering her vulnerable and sending her straight into the destructive arms of the wrong guy.

Gavin Rhodes never saw the betrayal coming. It crushes him. Chloe has always been his forbidden fantasy--sweet, tempting, and beautiful. But when the opportunity finally presents itself, he makes the biggest mistake of all and denies her.

Now it's too late . . .

Four years after a devastating tragedy, Chloe and Gavin find themselves crashing back into each other's lives. Haunted by the past, they're forced to come to terms with all that has transpired to find the peace they deserve. Except they can't seem to get near each other without combatting an intense emotional connection that brings them right back to where it all started . . . their childhood treehouse.

Chloe still holds her secrets close, but this time she isn't the only one with something to hide. Can their deep-rooted connection survive the destruction of innocence?
Mini Book Review - I had a huge expectation with this book because it has a 4 stars rating on goodreads but it was not that memorable. I like the idea of the story but the execution was poor. The beginning was a bit rush and the middle was a bit draggy. I did not like the characters. They were bland and they were over dramatic. I was so frustrated with them because they would not talk to each other despite the fact that conversation is need to solve their problem. 

6. Poles Apart by Kirsty Moseley 
He’s pole position. She’s a pole dancer. The two of them are poles apart.

Carson Matthews, the hottest driver ever to hit the MotoGP circuit, is living the carefree, celebrity lifestyle. With little to worry about other than keeping himself top of the leader board, his favourite weekend pastime is visiting a certain blonde at Angels Gentlemen’s Club.

Emma Bancroft, a part-time lap dancer, is just trying to make ends meet. Her responsibilities weigh heavily on her as the does the secret she’s kept from everyone for the past two-and-a-half years.

With the world’s press watching his every move, their relationship and Emma’s explosive secret can’t stay hidden for much longer…








Mini Book Review - This is the second book that I re-read. While re-reading this book, I discovered many problems with the story. The character did not have any sort of development or growth. The story is very unrealistic but still this book is good if you are looking for a fluffy and quick read. 


7. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller


Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. By all rights their paths should never cross, but Achilles takes the shamed prince as his friend, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. But then word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus journeys with Achilles to Troy, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.

Profoundly moving and breathtakingly original, this rendering of the epic Trojan War is a dazzling feat of the imagination, a devastating love story, and an almighty battle between gods and kings, peace and glory, immortal fame and the human heart.

Mini Book Review - I have not finished this book but I am already 50% done and I love it so far. I like the writing style. It is very whimsical and poetic. I like the characters and seeing their growth and maturity over the course of the book. I will be doing a full review once I am finish reading it.

So that is for my weeklong readathon and I will be doing another one of this soon.

P.S I am now 3 books ahead of schedule for my Reading Challenge. 
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Page Count
When Dimple Met Rishi.................................................. 380 pages
Measuring Up................................................................... 323 pages
My Lady Jane................................................................... 491 pages
My Plain Jane................................................................... 464 pages
Up in the Treehouse.......................................................... 414 pages
Poles Apart......................................................................  278 pages 
The Song of Achilles........................................................ 352 pages
Total .....................................................................  2,702 pages


..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
What is your favorite read last month?  Be sure to follow my social media accounts to see bookish stuffs or chat about books, or be reading buddies.

XOXO,

Isabel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Minute Easy Halloween Costume Ideas

GIVEAWAY: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab

New Release: The Temporary Wife by Catharina Maura