March 2020 Wrap Up + Update

Hi Lovelies! I am back and very much alive. I took a little break from blogging and posting on my bookstagram because I got hit by the reading slump real bad. After my trip to China last January, I could not get myself to read. I would read a couple of pages here and there but I could not get immersed enough and finish a whole book. This reading slump of mine lasted for 2 months. I guess I was dealing with a lot of personal problems and school work that I am constantly emotionally and physically tired. 
It was just last month were I finally got to read and finish 4 books. Since I am in quarantine I do have the extra time to read or listen to audiobooks. The whole quarantine is making me anxious and the fact that I still have a lot of school requirements that needed to be submitted does add to my stress. But reading and exercising has helped me tone down my stress level. I am enjoying a lot of psychological thrillers and since Scribd has a 30 day free trial I have been listening to audiobooks more. 



1. From Me to You (The Lonely Heart Club #1.2) by Elizabeth Eulberg 
Penny Lane Bloom founded The Lonely Hearts Club, which means that she basically doesn’t date. She’s got her awesome girls to hang out with, she’s got her hilarious (and sometimes annoying) family, she’s working towards high grades to get into a great college–she’d never give up any of that to be with a boy.


But all of a sudden, the rules of the Club have changed and Penny’s not only allowed to date–she’s going out with Ryan Bauer, longtime friend, all-around amazing guy, and her best friend Diane’s ex-boyfriend. It’s not like Penny hasn’t been on plenty of first dates before, and it’s not like she hasn’t seen Ryan practically every day for years… so could someone please let the butterflies in her stomach know it’s okay to calm down?
I read the first book, The Lonely Heart Club, when I was 13-14 years old and it was just recent that I found out that there is a second book and 3 novellas. There is something nostalgic about reading this and going back to the story of Penny. I did enjoy the first book but reading the novella has been draggy. I feel like my age is a big factor on why I did not enjoy this story. I could not connect to the characters. 

2. American Royals (American Royals #1) by Katherine McGee

What if America had a royal family?

When America won the Revolutionary War, its people offered General George Washington a crown. Two and a half centuries later, the House of Washington still sits on the throne.

As Princess Beatrice gets closer to becoming America's first queen regnant, the duty she has embraced her entire life suddenly feels stifling.

Nobody cares about the spare except when she's breaking the rules, so Princess Samantha doesn't care much about anything, either . . . except the one boy who is distinctly off-limits to her.



And then there's Samantha's twin, Prince Jefferson. If he'd been born a generation earlier, he would have stood first in line for the throne, but the new laws of succession make him third. Most of America adores their devastatingly handsome prince . . . but two very different girls are vying to capture his heart.

This is a very entertaining read. It feels like I am watching a reality show such as the hills or laguna beach. The characters are very enjoyable to read even the antagonist. I also like the idea behind the book but I did not like the execution. It has too many dramas. 

3. The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides


Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London’s most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word.

Alicia’s refusal to talk, or give any kind of explanation, turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London.

Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alice

I highly recommend this book. The plot was just greatly formulated. It is fast paced. I also like that the twist is not far fetched from the flow of the story. My pet peeve in thriller/mystery books is when there is no development of the twist. 


4. An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks 


Seeking women ages 18 - 32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed.

When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she’ll have to do is answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave. But as the questions grow more and more intense and invasive and the sessions become outings where Jess is told what to wear and how to act, she begins to feel as though Dr. Shields may know what she’s thinking…and what she’s hiding. As Jess’s paranoia grows, it becomes clear that she can no longer trust what in her life is real, and what is one of Dr. Shields’ manipulative experiments. Caught in a web of deceit and jealousy, Jess quickly learns that some obsessions can be deadly.
I listened to the audiobook of this book and I really enjoyed the narrator. The story is just very far fetched. It was also draggy and dull. There are some chapters that I feel was not necessary in the development of the plot. I also did not like the characters. 

So that is what I've read last month. My goal for this month is to read 5 books. I have already finished 2 and I am currently listening to the audiobook of Imagine Me by Tahereh Mafi. I hope you are all safe and well. 

  ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................
What are your reading plans for this month?  Please tell me below. Be sure to follow my social media accounts to see bookish stuffs or chat about books, or be reading buddies.

XOXO,
Bella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Minute Easy Halloween Costume Ideas

GIVEAWAY: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab

New Release: The Temporary Wife by Catharina Maura