September 2019 Wrap Up

Hi lovelies! I am actually proud of my wrap up for this month. I did a Birthday readathon this month and I was able to read a lot of my books that have been in my TBR pile for a while such as Kingdom of Ash and The President is Missing. My goal for this month is to read 10 books and I did read 10 books. I wanted to really a lot of books this month especially since school have started and looking at the syllabus of my class I won't be have the time to read as much as I want. So moving on here are the books that I read: 
1. A Flair for Flip Flops by Deborah Garner 
I received a copy of this book in exchanged for an honest review. I had a hard time getting into the story because it was the 5th book of a series and I usually want to read book one first but once I read past 50 pages I got hooked into the story. It is a light read which is perfect for a summer read by the poolside. It is comparable to Nancy Drew since both characters both amateur detectives and their storylines are light and easy to read despite dealing with serious cases such as murder. With that. I would love to think that Sadie Kramer is the grown-up version of Nancy Drew. In addition, I love how the author portrays Sadie's relationship with Coco. It is something that is comparable and true for a lot of dog owners. From personal experience, I love my dog like it is my child and bring her around and spoil her. 


See full review here


2. Top Secret by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy
This a M/M enemies turned to lovers, which is one of my favorite trope to read. I really like the story and characters in this book. The development the characters goes through is entertaining to read and I see myself re-reading this book.

3. Epic Fail by Claire LeZebnik
This is actually a re-read and I still like it. It is a good high school retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

4. The Trouble with Flirting by Claire LeZebnik 
I still like Epic Fail better. I just do not understand the actions and decision of the character in this book. This retelling is also a little off the mark for me. I also did not like Franny here. She complains a lot but does not do anything to resolve her problems. If only did the characters communicate better they would be able to avoid the conflicts. 




5. Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper #1)by Kerri Maniscalco
A wonderful ending to this amazing series. I am just sad that it is over. I guess it’s time for me to re-read the whole series again. I definitely recommend this series. The characters are so incredible. Audrey Rose is so bad ass. She is a strong female character that fights the norm of society, and I love her growth throughout the series. She has shown her vulnerability, which makes her relatable. While Thomas is so swoony. He respects Audrey's independence and allows her to grow. He is seen as this very confident man but I love that in this book explored more of his personality and that he is also insecure. I also love how despite each book has different focus but is connected to one another. 

6. City of Ghost by Victoria Schwab 
City of Ghost is middle grade novel and is a cross between Emily the Strange and The Ghost Whisperer.
👻
Victoria Schwab’s writing is very descriptive and lyrical, which adds a sort of realness while reading the story. It makes the reader feel like they are also exploring Scotland.
👻
I truly did enjoy this book immensely. It was a fast and entertaining read. Despite it’s gothic theme it does not feel heavy or dark to read. I felt like I was reading a Nancy Drew book. I cannot wait to read the second book Tunnel of Bones, which is set in Paris, France


7. Kingdom of Ash (Cassidy Blake#1) by Sarah J. Maas 
This is probably the hardest book that I read this week. I keep putting this book off and I decided that it is finally time to read. There were a lot of unnecessary parts that were not essential in the development of the story, which made the book a bit draggy to read. Nevertheless, it was a bittersweet ending. I almost cried during the sweet moment between Aelin, Dorian, and Chaol. It reminded me so much of Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight, and the growth of their relationship and their own personal growth. I am so happy with Chaol. He finally had the ending he deserves. 


8. The President is Missing by James Patterson and Bill Clinton
It is very different from what I expected based on the synopsis. The book is also fast paced and plot driven instead of character driven so there was no to little character development or growth. I like the politics and power struggle parts of the book. It also reads like a movie since it has a lot of dialogues, action packed, and the time frame is quick.


9. Batman, Volume 6: Bride or Burglar by Tom King 
I love the artwork but not much of the story.  This comprises of three story. The first one was good but the other two are lackluster. It was not my favorite take on Batman but I do like the growth of Batman and Catwoman's relationship.
10. Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake# 2) by Victoria Schwab 
Victoria Schwab did it again. Her writing is just so imaginative and it easy to visualize the plot and the character with how descriptive her writing is. I like how the characters, Cassidy and Jacob, continue to develop throughout the series. My only criticism is that there was so much build up in the first book about Jacob's past but how it was delivered in this book was inadequate and very one dimensional. 


 ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Have you read any of these book? If yes, what are your thoughts? Please tell me below. Be sure to follow my social media accounts to see bookish stuffs or chat about books, or be reading buddies.

XOXO,
Bella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Minute Easy Halloween Costume Ideas

GIVEAWAY: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab

New Release: The Temporary Wife by Catharina Maura